Sunday, January 15, 2006

the gifts we've been given...

So I've been thinking about the arts and creativity and the likes lately and asking why don't we use these gifts more. And by use them I don't just mean use them to unwind after a long day, and I don't mean just being creative and filling your own room with the stuff you have made, but really why aren't we stepping out and using these gifts that got has so freely given us. A few months ago I went to Jann Arden Concert with Dan and I thought about here was a women who sang for a living. She made lots of money cause she sings good. She get's to do what she loves all the time. So I started to wonder at what kind of art I would do if I could make a living at it. And I've started to ask people, and it's amazing at what I've heard people say. Sarah said she would dance, now I disin't even know Sarah wanted to dance or that she even used to. But back in the day when she used to dance there was this spark and something in her still wants to do it. So there's a question for you what would you do if you could do anything? I would take pictures. Most people that know me well know that I love taking pictures. I would walk around and take pictures of people and buildings and I would sell my pictures or make cards or something like that with them, and eventually after I had enough good ones I would want to make a beautiful coffee table book. And then when I wasn't doing that I would make banana bread and I would sell it to coffee shops and and small shops and I would sell all sorts of varieties, cranberry, cocunut, berry, and maybe evn brnch out into other breads. So ya, that's what I've been dreaming about lately. I've been thinking about my friends and how talented they all are and how we need to be expressing these talents. Erica writes beautifully, Amy is a natural poet, Bettina does music like nobodies mother, Simon writes in a this compelling way, Lisa has this way with quotes and finding beautiful inspiring words that are in the world, Aaron is one good photographer, and I don't know I could keep going and going with every single friend I have. It's just amazing the artistic abilities that are out there to express what deep within our beings. So I was thinking about this space and that I might try using it for expressing more of what God has blessed me and my friends with.

Here's a beautiful example of these wonderful gifts from my dear friend Amy:

'Her Song'
The heartache in her heart
Transposed to the same familiar song.
The words recited by memory:
'I'm just one, but I can be strong.'

She gazes upon the horizon,
She looks up into the sky.
She sees the rain clouds coming
And she asks the questions, why?

Why does she have to live in the cold world?
Why does this have to be done?
Why was this life chosen for her?
Why does she have to do it alone?

But who sings to no one?
Who's song is not heard?
Does not the mouth that's been opened
Make sounds more than just words?

When a dancer sways, are they not noticed?
They're feet a story tell?
Does not the step that's been taken
Begin a story that started out well?

She can shield away the raindrops
She can hide from the wind
She can pretend that life's not happening
And that eve hadn't sinned.

Or she could dance with the raindrops
And with the wind she can sing.
She can live the questions as they find her
And write music from her King.

AF - Jan '06

and with that good-night everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger brendo said...

I really like this post. I've been thinking about this topic lately as well because, like you, I have a bunch of creative people around me doing all kinds of things: film, music, writing, visual art, and general off-the-wall creative craziness. I've had this desire to create things lately that I haven't had before, which is wierd for me. I have the outlets too, I just need to utilise them more fully. Thanks for the thoughts!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Myriam said...

Hmmm...Deep thoughts by Dana!
Here's a quote that I love: "The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's hunger meet." -Frederick Buechner
Essentially what we see as the world's biggest need and where we find our greatest satisfaction in life. For me it's loneliness and I find my deep gladness in being with others...

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home