Thursday, November 16, 2006

It's been so long since I posted something...

Well, I know it's been so long. Much has been happening. I turned 25 and have made some good 25 year resolutions, have been having good times with friends, work is busy but creative and encouraging, kids club is my joy every week, jesus is just good these days... But I don't have much time to write all about what's been going through my head. I write this Chalo update e-mail to some kids who where out in Saskatoon at Appleby this summer. As I was writing it I thought I would just post it here cause I really should post on this thing. So here it is...

Well Everyone,

It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to sit down
and write an update on what’s been going on around
Appleby Drive. Life is sure a lot different around
here in the winter. Everythings seems quieter because
the kids aren’t running all over. It’s kinda sad, and
Erica and I have both said we can’t wait for the
summer...

This past fall Majok, Nabol, and Njema’s family moved
to another area of the city. It wasn’t the best of
circumstances that brought hem to move and in the
short notice they had they could only find a two
bedroom within their price range. So now this family
of 7 lives in a two bedroom apartment. Please pray
for them when they come to mind. They need all the
prayers they can get right now.

The kids had never been trick or treating, so Erica
and I decided go over to their place and take the
trick or treating. They told us what they wanted to
be and we went out and got them costumes, even their
oldest sister, who is 14 was pumped to be a princess!
i have never seen kids so excited. So we got dressed
up, reviewed trick or treating manners “no eating
until home, say thank-you, and don’t hog the
doorway...) grabbed our pillow cases and went on our
merry way.

Well, we got to the first door and she gave them each
one mini chocolate bar. They couldn’t believe that
this was true. You ring and they give you candy, how
brilliant!!! They were just excited, and I didn’t
think they could get much more excited until one of
the ladies gave them a handful of her candy bowl.
Well, that was it, Majok could barely talk he was so
excited. He just looked at us with big eyes and a
stunned look and said, “SHE GAVE US A WHOLE
HANDFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” It was great. We kept
going and throughout the night they would just look at
their candy and with great pride remark on how their
mom was going to be so proud of them.

That night I just thought man, I wish I was a kid
again. Not just for the candy, but for that utter
excitment over the little things. The thankfulness
that pours out because from deep in our beings we are
stunned and excited and thankful at what is around us,
not the thankfulness that pours out because we are
polite and it is the ‘right’ thing to do. So today...
let’s forget we are getting older, lets just be kids.
Let’s be amazed at this world around us.

Dana

2 Comments:

Blogger YootguyMark said...

Dana Dana!! I too check your blog and appreciate the updates on Appleby Drive. I miss that place and hope to be there again some day. Happy Birthday and glad to hear life is good. Send me an email one day. markbonnie2002@yahoo.ca

Mark

11:41 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I agree - we should all be a little more childlike!
Glad you're writing again!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home