Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sometimes you just need time away...

So, last week and the days preceding were for some unknown reason quite overwhelming. I was feeling on the edge of burn out, or what I would assume is burn out seeing as how I have not yet felt the fullness of the thing they call burnout. Whatever it was I was tired, my body was sick, I wanted to cry all the time, and I felt as if there was no way to slow life down. So that's where I was Thursdat night when I packed up my stuff to head out to Canmore for the week-end. As I was quickly throwing all my things in my pack to head out I almost stopped and didn't go... but since it was planned and I felt there were people expecting me to be there I went. Friday night I couldn't sleep, my head felt like it was going to blow up, I was hot and emotionally at the end. I lay on sweet Bettina's ( who was a wonderful host) bathroom floor and just said sorry to Jesus. Sorry for not even listening to my own body and taking care of myself. I thought of ways I could get home and just lay in bed. But as I awoke the next morning that didn't seem to be the best option. So I just prayed that the best would come from this week-end and I would go slow... and I did, and the best did come. In fact better than I could have imagined. And so I have come to the conclusion that sometimes you just need time away. Time to wake up and slowly get ready. Time to get up and read your bible and journal. Time to sit by the fire place in a strangers home and be encouraged by the faithfulness of these radical people before you. Time to talk about dreams and community and of what could be. Time to be honest. Time to look at what you could be doing better. Time to be encouraged at what you are doing right. Time to think about what God has called you to be. Time to take challenges. Time to meet new people who don't know you from a hole in the wall and never will but a simple conversation that has nothing to do with work or anything of importance, but is a wonderful breath of fresh air. Time to sit in hotsprings. Time to build deeper relationships with friends. Time to enjoy Canada and the beauty that is here. Time to strap on crampons and grab ice picks and climb the wall even further than you did the day before. Time to just be... no agenda, no expectations, just being. It was wonderful. I remember a friend talking about 'kingdom time'. It is a phrase that has been in my mind this past week-end. Kingdom time. Time to just be, to move when God moves and not a minute before. It is what I long to walk in. It is something I will strive to walk in. And though I feel that in our everyday lives kingdom time is something that needs to be fought for so I will try my best to fight for it... I just may need those closest to me to remind me from time to time.

5 Comments:

Blogger matty said...

i've been feeling unexplainably overwhelmed lately too.....kindom time sounds great. glad you had a good trip. we should hang out soon.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear, dear Dana. Your reflection is similar to what I have again been thinking through of late. Eccles. 3:11 says,"He has made everything beautiful in its time..." That's a puzzle to me, but I like the next part of that verse, "He has also set eternity in the hearts of men (& of course women too! We get so wound up about time (pun intended) and yet there is this mysterious longing in us for eternity. I am trying to shape my daily life around that profound truth, letting go of stuff that is a useless time filler and taking more time to be/ wonder/observe/listen/rest.
I miss you and your lovely roomie
Love Joan
P.S. Do you still have your CHristmas eve sleepovers with your Mom and Erin in front of the tree? Be blessed with peace and joy!

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a good trip. I'm sorry you've been feeling so overwhelmed and anxious...call me anytime - I'm home and can talk. How was gingerbread house making at kids club? Love, Dana (the other one)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Trev and Rebekah said...

I love your thoughts and reflections. I hear you. There have been plenty of times that I've told Trev we've needed to get away for a weekend. We go to B & B's so they are cheaper but a great way to relax and rest when life it too busy. I enjoy my times alone at home to read or just be. Something I don't do enough. Keep striving to draw nearer to God. You are an encouragement to others.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home